If you live in Fort Worth, TX, you may hear people talking about insulating the plumbing in their homes this winter. There are many reasons to protect your pipes this winter, the biggest reason being to avoid costly repairs or damage!
- Insulate your pipes to save your home from water damage. Even if you have a small leak in a pipe, it can quickly turn into a flood during freezing weather conditions. Insulating your pipes can help keep them from freezing and bursting.
- Insulating your indoor and outdoor pipes will help them last longer. If your pipes are protected from the cold and harsh weather, then they won’t become as worn over time.
- You can avoid waiting for your pipes to thaw before you have water in your home. Sometimes pipes thawing out can take time and you won’t have access to water in your home while you wait. As a precaution, consider keeping jugs of water handy in the winter months.
- Invest in the proper insulation for your pipes ahead of time so you can put the expense in your budget. The alternative may be an unexpected expense.
- If your pipes do freeze this winter, wait for them to thaw, and inspect them to make sure that there are no cracks or leaks.
- If you need repairs, call a technician right away.
- If you notice that your pipes or faucets are leaking after they froze, turn off your water to avoid further damage and call a professional for repair services.
- Remember to turn your thermostat up the next time there are freezing temperatures and insulate your pipes and unheated spaces in the meantime.
- Consider heating the unheated areas in your home that have plumbing pipes in them. Even if you use a space heater temporarily, it raises the temperature in the space and lessens the chances of frozen pipes.